Friday, September 7, 2012

Change

Last Sunday my bishop commented on how pretty the mountains are getting now that Fall is here. The leaves are finally starting to change, it's starting to cool down a little, and I can almost smell the difference in air. I haven't always been a particular fan of change but it never bothered me too much. I love new things and I've always loved a new adventure. Change, however, at this point in my life, terrifies me. The change that alters your life forever, the change that makes you contemplate what's really important and what's only semi-important.

I love the way my life is now. I'm happy and healthy and I have the best husband a girl could ask for. Jared and I both have jobs that pay us well enough that we can afford to go to Italy in December. Not many newly-married couples can do that. We really are so blessed. We are comfortable with the way our life is. I've had a few days to think about this comfort we are feeling. I wouldn't say it's necessarily bad; we're just at a good place in life. But I've decided that comfort isn't always a good thing. Discomfort presents the opportunity and the life we fought for in the pre-existence- a life full of struggles, trials, and heartache. A life that without those struggles we wouldn't know the feeling of pure love, joy, and comfort. We would be trapped in an emotionless world where we didn't know what it felt like to feel comfort nor discomfort.

I'm starting to feel that my life needs to change. We didn't choose this life of agency only to throw it away and expect that God will tell us everything. Sure, I believe God allows things to happen to stretch and mold us when we least expect it. But I also believe we need to choose and accept change in our lives. Change can be a good thing. It allows us to have new experiences and gives us the chance to feel both comfort and discomfort-which, in turn, helps us to understand, sympathize, and feel for other people. So, although I still don't feel quite ready to change, I'm getting more courage to accept that it will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment